Angry Nigerian Senators in the opposition on Wednesday threatened to impeach the President Muhammadu Buhari , over the worsening insecurity in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, and the country at large, giving the President a six-week ultimatum to address the security crisis or face impeachment proceedings.
Opposition senators issued the ultimatum on Wednesday as fears over insecurity in Abuja worsened with the government ordering schools to shut to prevent attacks by terrorists.
Meanwhile, the impeachment moves against Buhari began when the Senate Minority Leader and the senator representing the FCT, Philip Aduda, Peoples Democratic Party, FCT, raised a point of order for the Senate to deliberate on issues raised at the closed-door session which lasted for two hours.
The Senate President, after the session, announced that issues relating to smooth running of the Senate and unity in Nigeria were deliberated upon but instructed the leader of the Senate to proceed with items listed on the order paper.
Miffed by the development, Aduda raised a point of order, calling for deliberation on issues discussed at the closed-door session.
He said, “ Mr President, I raised this point of order to bring to the front burner, issues deliberated upon at the closed-door session.
“Resolution made by all Senators at the closed door session which lasted for two hours was to further deliberate on it in plenary and arrive at a resolution to give President Muhammadu Buhari ultimatum on an urgent basis to stop the worsening security situation or face impeachment.”
The Senate President quickly interrupted him by saying that his point of order fell flat on its face since he didn’t discuss it with him.
The Presidency in a statement by the President’s spokesman, Garba Shehu, described the action of the opposition senators as babyish, advising them to put their time to a better use.
But reacting to threats by the lawmakers, the Federal Government said it is “working 24 hours” to bring the situation under control.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, who addressed House Correspondents shortly after the Federal Executive Council meeting chaired by Buhari, commended the lawmakers for their patriotism but added that work is ongoing to restore order.
The minister said, “As to the resolution passed by the Senate, it was passed when we were deliberating (at the FEC meeting). We thank them for their patriotism and their concern. But we are working around the clock 24 hours to ensure that the situation is brought under control.
“I want to assure you that the President is aware of all these and as a matter of fact, I think tomorrow there’s going to be another Security Council meeting. So, it’s not a matter the President is taking lightly and like I’ll always say some of the measures we’re going to take are not measures that you can discuss openly here, but we’re as concerned as you are, we’re not going to abandon our responsibility.”
Lai dismissed as laughable the threats by some terrorists in a viral video to abduct the President.
The terrorists who flogged the 43 passengers of the Kaduna-Abuja train had threatened to abduct Buhari and the Kaduna Stated Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.
Abuja, the nation’s capital had been gripped by fear following the attack by suspected terrorists on the elite Presidential Guards Brigade by gunmen along the Bwari-Kubwa road on Sunday in which a captain, lieutenant and six soldiers were killed. Three others were injured in The personnel were on their way to the Bwari campus of the Nigeria Law School which had received a threat when they were ambushed.
Following this development, the security forces Tuesday deployed troops and policemen in strategic locations in the FCT, including helicopters and drones.
On Tuesday night, there were reports of sporadic shootings at Dantata Bridge, Airport road and Ministers’ Hill, Maitama, sparking panic among residents.
A leaked memo from the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps indicating that Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa Province terrorists were amassing dangerous weapons for massive attacks on Katsina, Lagos, FCT, Kaduna, and Zamfara States, created further fear in Abuja.
The criminals were reported to have acquired high-calibre weapons, including Anti-aircraft guns, General Purpose Machine Guns, among others.
Tension has, however, increased in the city as messages circulated on social media that the terrorists were planning to attack some estates in Gwarimpa, Lokogoma, Maitama, Apo and other high brow areas.
Security guards and residents of estates in the area expressed concern over the poor security in Abuja, saying the government must sit up.
A resident of a popular private estate at Gwarimpa, Charles Kufre, said, ‘’The terrorists have occupied the streets of Abuja and we are still playing politics instead of us to shout out. They have issued a threat and those guys would carry out their threats; we have seen this in the past. If they can attack Kuje Medium Custodial Centre, it is only God that can prevent further attacks.”
Meanwhile, the FCT Administration has ordered all schools to shut down as apprehension spreads in the FCT.
Earlier, the Federal Ministry of Education ordered the immediate closure of one of its Unity Colleges, the Federal Government College Kwali, located in Kwali Area Council of the Abuja, on Tuesday.
The decision was taken after a reported terrorist attack on the neighbouring Sheda community close to the college.
However, in a statement signed by the National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools in Nigeria, Abuja, on Wednesday, the directive to shut down schools came from the FCT Education secretariat.
The message read, “Dear school educators, instruction reaching me now from the Ag. Director DQA is that the FCT Education secretariat has directed that schools are to make sure all examinations going on should be ended by Wednesday, July 27,2022 and all students including those in boarding should be allowed to go home for the holiday.
“Those writing external examinations and schools that have planned their end of the year speech and prize-giving day beyond Wednesday, 27th could go ahead as planned but must put adequate security in place to safeguard both students and staff of their schools, you are addressed strictly to the above instructions.”